Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Good Impression

Have you ever wanted to impress someone. Before Jerry and I were married, he wanted me to meet his Grandma Layman. I wasn't too excited. I was so afraid she might not like me.  Jerry loved his Grandma Layman and she was a very important person in his life.
So one Saturday morning we went out and ate and did a little bit of shopping. Then we had it planned to go by for me to meet his Grandma.  Being the shy and easily intimidated person I am, I was dreading it. Jerry kept saying, "Relax. It will be okay. You'll like my Grandma."
Well we finally got to her apartment and we were sitting there talking and I started feeling sick at my stomach. It kept getting worse and so I whispered to Jerry and asked him where the bathroom was. It was upstairs and so  I made my way over to the stairs. But as you can guess it, I didn't make it. I threw up all over her wooden floors. (For you who have delicate stomachs, I'm not sure how to say it except it was a mess).
I couldn't believe it. I wanted to disappear. I had wanted to make such a  good first impression, but instead I had experienced one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. It was not my finest hour.

I'm so thankful that when I came to Jesus I didn't have to worry about impressing Him.  He didn't care how smart I was or how beautiful. I didn't have to do and say all the right things. I didn't have to worry if I was good enough or if  He would love me. He already loved me. He accepted me for who I was.  I'm so thankful for my salvation and for a God who loves me unconditionally.

By the way, Jerry's grandma, was very kind and gracious. She made me feel at ease and said it was okay and not to worry about it.  After Jerry and I were married she became an important part of my life also; and she loved me and accepted me into the family. She became my Grandma Layman and I loved her very much.

When I was baptized after I got saved, she came to my baptism. She said she wished she would have gotten baptized with me. She told me she had never been baptized because she thought she might want to go dancing sometime.  She was 75 years old at the time.
She's in heaven now, but she was a big influence in many lives. She was 99 years old when she passed away in 1998.

Jerry and his Grandma Layman
1997

Please continue praying that they will be able to find out why Jerry's counts are dropping and that we'll get a good result from the bone marrow biopsy. We love you.


March Madness has begun. 
 GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. What an awesome blog. I hadn't heard that story, you had to be mortified, but knowing Grandma, she probably felt bad about you being sick and didn't care about the mess at all. You and Jerry have always been a blessing in our lives and to those that know you. We thank God for the blessing of you all and pray for God to help the Docs figure this out for healing. We love you lots... and so does Grandma Layman as she watches over you from heaven. XO

    ReplyDelete