Monday, July 9, 2012

A Boy Once Again

The other morning my husband woke up remembering when he was young. He loved summertime. He said he wanted to be playing baseball, riding his green bike, swimming in one of the farm ponds close by, and showing our grandson, Ethan, how to frog gig.
It’s hard sometimes not being able to do all the things that you once enjoyed.
But then he thought about Heaven and how wonderful Heaven is going to be. And he thought about how much God loves him. We are so blessed.
This poem is written by me through my husband’s eyes.


A Boy Once Again
I woke to dreams of yesterday
Days that seem so far away.
To a baseball flying through the air
And in my mind I knew I was there.
Playing baseball on a summer day
And enjoying a wonderful time of play.
Going swimming all the day long
Remembering when my body was strong.
Sneaking watermelons from a neighbor’s farm
There was so many what could it harm.
Taking a ride on my bike of green
Through country roads while I day dream.
Hearing the crickets and frogs at night
Going frog gigging with the pale moon light.
Hearing my father call my name
“Come home, my son, it’s time to rest.”
And then I awaken to another dream
Of a beautiful place with fields of green.
Where I hear my Father call once more
“Come home, my son, it’s time to rest.”

- Patricia Rice



We love you!

6 comments:

  1. Love the poem! We are home from the "promise land" (Indiana). Thought of you often especially when we were in Indiana and went by Surburban and the college,when we went through Kentucky, or saw UK stuff at a truck stop. I had wonderful time but I am glad to be home. You have been in my prayers daily. We saw Katherine Sat/Sun. It was wonderful to sit beside her in church. Let me know what is a good time this week and your choice. Call me at work. Love you both, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, both Memories and poem. I love this picture of Jerry. Such sweet memories. We Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are one talented lady. Very nice poem. Thinking of you guys often and praying for you. Is there anything I can do for you?? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to copy the song "The I Of the Storm" song by The Old Paths but I can't get it to copy. It is a great song and I thought of you as I thought of the words. You can hear it if you go to You Tube and type in the title. I should have thought of telling you to do that sooner but I just wanted you to have it all in one place. Patricia, I know that God hand-picked you to be Dr. Rice's helpmate because you have been exactly whzt he has needed on this journey God has allowed you all to take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read this in my devotions this morning, I wanted to share it with you:

    Allured by love,separated by trial, and comforted by the Spirit of truth,may
    we know the Lord and sing for joy! C.H. Spurgeon

    I know you are going through difficult days right now
    which I can't even imagine, so I wanted you to know once again that we are thinking about you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete