Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Oh No! I'm Turning Into My Aunt Pearl

For some reason, when I woke up this morning, I was in a baking mood. This does not happen too often. Especially since I'm trying to lose a few pounds before the holidays. I can easily put on 5 - 10 pounds over Thanksgiving and Christmas just by smelling the food.
I needed a few things from Food Lion, so I got dressed real quick and drove to the store. I sure was hoping I didn't see anybody I knew. It would always happen. When you look your worst, that's when you are going to see everybody you know.
So I got out of the car and as I was getting out of the car, I noticed I had on two different blue striped socks with orange jeans. I thought please don't let anybody I know see me. Thankfully I didn't see anybody.
The reason I said I was turning into my Great Aunt Pearl (as they say in the south - "Bless Her Heart"), she had problems with coordinating her wardrobe. When she got older she never wore socks that matched and her clothes for sure never matched. She was even known for wearing two different pairs of shoes.
 
She looks good in the picture below. Someone must have helped her dress. She passed away in 1956 at the age of 67.


My Great Uncle Lee, Great Aunt Pearl, and my Grandpa (Poppy)
in July 1952


 


It's funny how you worry about inheriting some of your ancestor's traits. My Grandpa (Poppy) and his brothers were musicians. They could play any kind of music instrument. I can't play a tune on anything. They were riverboat gamblers and made money playing music on the riverboats that went up and down the Ohio. They did teach me how to play poker and do card tricks when I was young. I'm not sure how great of a legacy that is.
Great memories of a great past. And wonderful memories of the people in your family who help to mold and shape your life.

2 comments:

  1. What a great story Aunt Pearl. Oh, I mean Trisha. I love you lots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting story... I loved it!! I think I really like Aunt Pearl...

    ReplyDelete