Thursday, June 18, 2015

Sgt. Alvin C. York

  

 
Alvin Cullum York (December 13, 1887 – September 2, 1964), known also by his rank, Sergeant York, was one of the most decorated American soldiers in World War I. He received the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 20 German soldiers, and capturing 132 others.
 
 
 
 
 
On my trip I stopped by Sgt. Alvin C. York State Park. I always pass by it, but this time I decided to stop. The life of Sgt. York has always fascinated me. He had been an alcoholic, but on January 1, 1915, he accepted Jesus as his savior and changed his ways.
When World War I started, he was drafted. Because of his religion, he felt it was wrong to kill another person, even in war. But after much prayer, he decided to fight and believed that God would keep him safe.
 
 



York Home in Pall Mall, TN


Swinging bridge you have to walk over to get to Sgt. York's gravesite.
 
 
Sgt. York and his wife's graves
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The New Testament that Sgt. York carried all
 through World War I.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment