Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Nostalgia

nos·tal·gi·a  (n-stlj, n-)
n.
1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
2. The condition of being homesick; homesickness.

As you know on June 9, we celebrated our 45th Wedding Anniversary. It was a great day. It was also a very emotional day full of NOSTALGIA for days long past, for friends we miss, for another time and another place.

On the other side of the coin, we are also homesick for a place called Heaven.
A few months ago this poem by Dr. Raymond W. Barber touched my husband's heart.
 
 
My Journey With Jesus

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Come, my son, with Me today."

Over the uneven pathway of life we go,
Fearing not the bitterest foe.

Day by day, we walk hand in hand
As we journey to the Promised Land.

Facing life's problems of every kind,
I bravely walk with peace of mind.

Bearing the burdens with joyful heart,
Nothing my soul from my Saviour will part.

"Peace, be still," He whispers to my soul
As through the clouds I see the goal.

He comforts me as friend to friend,
And He'll lead me safely to journey's end.

No burden is too heavy; no night is too long,
As along the way He gives me a song.

When my steps are uncertain and my way unclear,
I feel His sweet presence and find Him near.

When the sky of blue becomes a cloud of gray,
I trust Him all the more to lead the way.

"I will never leave thee," He comfortingly said,
As upon His breast I laid my head.

As the sunset of life stared me in the face,
I entered the valley secure in His grace.

Together we reached that blissful shore
Where pain nor death can be no more.

Home at last beyond the gate
For my friends and loved ones I'll patiently wait.

-Raymond W. Barber

We are so thankful for the 45 years the Lord has given us together.
And also thank you for the cards and love. We love you.


1 comment:

  1. Hi! It's Jo Ann Sode onceagain. I'm sorry you haven't heard from me in a while. I do pray for you almost every day. I have been keeping up with Dr. Rice's health via Kathy Oakes but that's not the same as letting you hear personally from me. I hope we can meet face-to-face soon. Here is something than one of my other friend's daughter put up in relation to her mother who has cancer. Her name is Sherry Vernelson and she will be having surgery on the 19th. Here's what cancer cannot do:
    It cannot cripple love
    It cannot shatter hope
    It cannot dissolve faith
    It cannot destroy peace
    It cannot kill friendship
    It cannot suppress memories
    It cannot silence courage
    It cannot invade the soul
    It cannot steal eternal life
    It cannot conquer the spirit.

    ReplyDelete