Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's A Wonderful Life

Jerry and I grew up together going to a little Southern Baptist Church out in the country. As an 8 year old boy Jerry accepted Jesus as his Saviour. He still remembers the difference he felt in his life. He knew there was a change. Then in his teen years he got away from the Lord.
We had been married about 3 years when we bought a house next door to an independent fundamental baptist preacher and church. We kept talking about going to church, but we could just never bring ourselves to do it.
One afternoon, Jerry was at work; and a man he worked with named Bill Barnett, started talking about the tribulation and the second coming. Jerry came under such great conviction. He knew he had been saved, but he wasn't sure about me. He left work early. When he got home he wanted to go over and talk to Pastor Melton, the preacher that lived next door. I didn't know what was going on. After talking to Pastor Melton, he rededicated his life. Then Jerry and him came over to the house.
Pastor Melton told me about Jesus and how I could know I could go to heaven. I had always believed in Jesus, but had never had a personal relationship with Him. It was on Tuesday, July 25, 1972 around 6:30 in the evening. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I even remember what I was wearing. I bowed my head and asked Jesus into my heart.
Our life was never the same. In March of 1973, we attended Pastor's School in Hammond, Indiana. There Jerry yielded to preach.
For these 39 years, all we have wanted to do was to serve God and be a good testimony. It hasn't always been the easiest life, especially being in the ministry. But we think of all the many blessings, the times we saw God working in people's lives,  and all the wonderful friends we have made through these years. The Christian life really is a wonderful life.
Pray that through this trial in our life that we can remain a good testimony and people can see Jesus through us.

Thank you so much again for all the support, love, and prayers. We love you!

3 comments:

  1. What a testimony!!! We love u both!
    The Aldridge's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when that was my family's home. The Melton's were amazing people. Reverend Melton officiated at my dad's funeral. He touched many lives.

    Love you guys, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post and testimony. Thinking and praying for you both...we miss you and we love you...

    ReplyDelete